I love watching romantic comedies or romcoms any time of the year but especially around Valentine’s and Christmas. I love the predictability and the optimism. They are a great escape for me.
Why is it that the best romantic comedies often feature a dog? Perhaps they represent the unconditional love sought by the leading characters, or maybe it’s because they’re just so cute. Whatever it is, I love spending Valentine’s Day curled up watching with Kilo the Pug.
In fact, I love them so much I co-wrote one called “Pippy Love” about a rescue puppy playing cupid for 2 sisters and we are working on convincing a broadcaster or OTT player to commission it as the script is so good.
Here we compile a list of the best romantic comedies for Valentine’s Day and the dogs that steal the show.
- Legally Blonde (2001): Bruiser the Chihuahua
- There’s Something About Mary (1998): Puffy the Border Terrier
- Must Love Dogs (2005): Mother Theresa the Newfoundland
- You’ve Got Mail (1998): Brinkley the Golden Retriever
- As Good As It Gets (1997): Verdell the Brussels Griffon
- Sweet Home Alabama (2002): Bryant the Bloodhound
- Marley & Me (2008): Marley the Labrador – not really a rom com as a bit sad at the end.
- The Truth About Cats and Dogs (1996): Hank the Hound
- Bringing Up Baby (1938): George the Wire Fox Terrier
For more holiday romantic comedies including The Holiday and Love Actually, check out our Top 13 Holiday Movies To Watch With Your Dog.
Plus last Christmas I watched several great Hallmark movies with dogs and a few new features.
What’s your favorite romantic comedy with a dog or to watch with your dog? Did it make the list? Let us know in the comments!
Don’t Forget to Enter our Valentine’s Giveaway!
Would you like the chance to win a C$50 VISA Gift Card to spend and treating yourself or your Valentine, then enter below!
The contest is open Feb 1st to 5 p.m. February 14th, 2018.
How To Enter The Valentine’s Day Giveaway
Just submit an entry on the form below. You can enter once every day. You can also enter via the contest page.
Open to residents of Canada and US of the age of majority, where legal. Void where prohibited.
We’ll do a random draw after the giveaway closes and let the winner know by e-mail. You will need to respond to a skill-testing question and provide details of where to send the prize within 3 days of notification. The prize will then be mailed to you (we are not responsible for mail delays).