Kilo the Pug and I share a love of food. So what better way to celebrate his birthday than with homemade dog cupcakes from our Dog Licks Recipe Series.
Dog Decorated Cupcakes or or Pupcakes make the best yummy Birthday Party Treats Ever for a Greedy Pug like Kilo or for a dog lover like me!
We started with one that looks like a pug of course. Talk about a Cupcake selfie or a Pugcake. These are easy Cupcakes for dogs and humans.
- 2cups flour (I used plain white flour but rice flour should work well if you need gluten free)
- a pinch of salt (you can leave out but may leave cake a little flat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup butter softened (we tested using a tablespoon of butter, 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and 2 tablespoons of natural Greek Yoghurt as I had run out of butter, plus less fat)
- 1/2 cup sugar (if for kids and you want sweeter, you can add more sugar)
- 1cup milk
- White Fondant – we bought a little box of ready made after checking ingredients were OK for Kilo (confectioners sugar, water, gelatin unflavored, glucose, cornstarch and glycerine)
Dog Safe Faux “Chocolate” Icing
- 1/4 cup carob powder (I was super excited to learn about carob- what a great substitute for chocolate)
- 2 tbsp water (mix into a paste- adjust water to get desired thickness)
- 1 tablespoon of low-fat plain cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon of low-fat plain Greek yoghurt
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
Some cupcake recipes include vanilla but most vanilla extract includes alcohol which is not good for dogs so we left it out.
- Preheat the oven to 375f or 150c;
- Lay out cups in baking tin
- Cream butter and sugar together until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Add flour mixed with baking powder and salt alternating with milk. Beat well until smooth.
6. Divide evenly among cups and bake for 17-18 minutes or until a light golden colour on top. The smaller ones cooked faster so you could take them out early.
- Let cool in pans.
- Roll out fondant 2 cm thick.
- Cut out 1 heart shape, 2 teardrop shapes, and 1 large circle from the fondant. Set aside.
- “Frost” the cupcake with dog-safe white Icing or peanut butter to secure the fondant (and for taste)
- Lay the circle shape over the cupcake.
- Frost one side of the heart and lay upside down on the bottom half of the face.
- Frost one side of the teardrop shapes and place them as the pug’s ears.
- Lightly spread some carob paste onto the ears and the muzzle.
- Stick on two blueberries for eyes and one for the nose using peanut butter.
- Cut a small tongue using half a strawberry and place on the cupcake using peanut butter.
We love Pugs and Kilo sure loved his Pug Cake on his birthday.Do you have a favourite breed you would like to see? These easy cupcakes are perfect for dog and kid birthday parties or celebrations.
Do you have a favourite breed you would like to see us make? Let us know in the comments.
Disclaimer: Please note that I am just having fun with these Dog Licks Recipes, making food that looks like cute pups and that my dog, my kids and I can enjoy. I am not an expert, a chef, a vet or a nutritionist, so it’s advisable to consult with your own authority when trying new foods, and also to ensure that your dog’s or your child’s diet is balanced and appropriate & includes all of the nutrients that are necessary for good health.
Adorable – loving this series so much!
Tut just informed me that he’s packing his bags and headed to your house… 🙂
How cute are these? And that video is the best!
That is so incredibly cute! I wouldn’t want to eat them because they look so cute!
Another great recipe!! That’s so great!! You are really talented! These cupcakes look so tasty!!
Tenacious Little Terrier says
Yes, I vote for a Yorkie treat! Kilo lives in the lap of luxury lol.
The Daily Pip says
OMD! These are SO ADORABLE!!!! I hope Kilo had a wonderful Birthday filled with lots pupcakes and love! Cheers Kilo!
P.S.: your food pictures are all adorable. I want to try every single recipe
These are so cute and sound yummy. Have your tried them without sugar? Just curious if the dogs even care. Great post!
Ruth and Layla says
OMD – am loving these posts and feel as if Layla will get fat trying them out BOL, thanks for sharing
M. K. Clinton says
Those look adorable and I’m sure the boys would love them!
Lola The Rescued Cat says
What a cute idea! We love these. We’d love to see a kitty.
Team Dash Kitten says
I want my own cupcakes!! No fair the dogs tget the good stuff LOL!!!
Team Dash Kitten says
I want my own cupcakes!! No fair the dogs get the good stuff LOL!!!
Jana Rade says
These are the most adorable cupcakes I’ve ever seen.
Carol Bryant says
So if I try to make these and end up burning the kitchen down, can I say I was just trying to make doggie themed cupcakes and show my wife your blog? 😉
Beth | Daily Dog Tag says
This is so adorable! I love these recipes and hope they keep coming!
I love the ‘dog-friendly’ ingredients. I made some dog cakes for humans and I completely respect the makers of these fancy delights,knowing the amount of work that goes into them. But oh so adorable!!!
Sweet Purrfections says
You always have the best DIY recipes for dogs
These are super duper cute! Aw!
These are adorable! What a fun way to celebrate a dog’s birthday. I bet Kilo helped you every step of the way when you made these. 🙂 I didn’t know about carob either. Very interesting!