Today is Ice Cream Sandwich Day so the perfect day to try making our Delicious DIY Dog-Friendly Ice Cream Sandwich Pups for your kids and furkids from our Dog Licks Recipe Series. Don’t they look adorable – almost too good to eat (all our Dog Licks Recipes look like little dogs).
It’s hot and humid so Kilo the Pug and I enjoyed tasting these little cuties. They really were melt in the mouth and super simple to create.
Dog-Friendly Sweet Cookies (1 small 2 large per ice cream sandwich)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- half cup water
- 2 tbsp natural plain Greek yoghurt (instead of a larger quantity of butter)
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil (instead of a larger quantity of butter)
- 2 tbsp pure 100% pumpkin puree
- 2 tbsp dog-friendly peanut butter
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
Dog-Friendly Ice Cream
- 1/2 banana sliced (or alternate fruit)
- 3 tbsp peanut butter
- 1/2 cup natural plain Greek yoghurt
- dog-friendly peanut butter
- washed blueberries
- washed strawberries
Preheat oven to 350
Make Sweet Cookie Pups (You can see full recipe and alternate pup faces here)
- mix ingredients until firm dough and not too sticky to handle (you may need to add a tiny bit of water or flour to get just right).
- place dough in the fridge to chill for 10 minutes or until firm.
- knead dough on a floured surface into a flat circle about 1 cm thick
- cut out 2 large circle shapes and 2 small circles to act as the face and muzzle
4. put on greased baking sheet, bake for 12 minutes or until golden brown
5.take out of the oven and cool for 10 minutes in the fridge before decorating
Prepare Ice Cream
- Combine bananas, peanut butter, and yoghurt in a food processor or blender, or mash together with a fork
- Freeze until almost solid then blend again (or you can use frozen yoghurt and frozen bananas and just blend together with peanut butter)
- Blend the frozen mix and set in a bowl.
- Take a cookie and lay on a plate
- spread peanut butter onto the cookies
- place the small cookie in the lower centre of the larger cookie
- cut the strawberry in half for ears and a small triangle for the tongue
- place two blueberries for eyes and one for the nose
- Spoon the ice cream onto the plain cookie
- Place the dog faced cookie onto the ice cream covered cookie
As you can see in the video, Kilo loved his taste of his ice cream sandwich. It had all his favourite things. He ate the strawberry tongue first which surprised me but he seemed to really enjoy it.