#DogThanking on Thanksgiving
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. May your day be filled with joy and love. I am sitting here with adorable Kilo the Pug by my side, most thankful for friends and family.
His mischievous, cute little face makes me smile every day. I am so glad we found each other. He adds that he hopes you also enjoy delicious turkey and treats, some cuddles and a nice nap.
National Dog Show Presented By Purina®
For many dog lovers, the National Dog Show is a highlight of Thanksgiving. The annual holiday special on NBC is watched annually by a total of more than 20 million viewers including me. Over 1800 dogs and over 170 breeds vie for Best in Show honors in the Kennel Club of Philadelphia competition.
Best in Show
Charlie the beautiful 4 year-old Skye Terrier was named Best In Show at the National Dog Show this year. The champion from Ocala, Fla., has won 78 Best in Show titles and 200 first-place finishes. Rubi, a 2-year-old French Bulldog from NYC, was named Reserve Best in Show.
Seven New Breeds
This year, seven breeds will be exhibiting for the first time. With these additions, 40 new breeds have been introduced to the competition since the show’s debut showing just how fast dog breeds evolve.
The following is a description of each new breed from the Press Release from National Dog Show Presented by Purina :
- Bergamasco – Sheepdog whose most unique characteristic is its coat, which contains “dog hair,” “goat hair” and “wool” combining to form felt-like mats. The mats grow over the course of the dog’s life, reaching the ground at approximately 6 years of age.
- Spanish Water Dog – A rustic, multi-purpose breed, it was developed in Spain many centuries ago for a variety of purposes including herding, hunting, water work and companionship.
- Miniature American Shepherd – Small herding dog developed in the U.S. It is a highly versatile, energetic dog with superior intelligence and a willingness to please.
- Berger Picard – A medium-sized, active and athletic herding dog, it is bred to be a working companion. It has a shaggy, wiry topcoat with a short, dense undercoat.Lagotto Romagnolo – An ancient breed of retrieving water dogs from Italy. It is excellent at for searching for truffles, a job it performs with passion and efficiency. Powerfully built, it has a dense, curly coat of woolly texture.
- Lagotto Romagnolo – An ancient breed of retrieving water dogs from Italy. It is excellent at for searching for truffles, a job it performs with passion and efficiency. Powerfully built, it has a dense, curly coat of woolly texture.
- Cirneco dell’Etna – Present in Sicily for over 2,500 years, it shares a common origin with the Pharaoh Hound. As a hunter of small mammals and fowl, it is a hardy, compact dog that was successful in hunting under adverse conditions.
- Boerboel – A large dog that is strong, confident and muscular with a distinctive, blocky head. It is the most agile of the mastiff-type breeds. It serves as a capable working dog as well as a loyal companion.
SOURCE: Breed descriptions sourced for the press release by from AKC.org, Dogbreedinfo.com, breed clubs and edited for space.
#DogThanking – A New Initiative to Give Thanks and Raise Funds
I am so excited as Kilo and I may appear during the Show on NBC in one of the vignettes that highlight Purina’s new #DogThanking initiative to thank the furry friends who make our lives so special. Life is #BetterWithPets.
During November, Purina invited Dog Owners to share the reasons why they love and are thankful for their dog with a picture over social media. For every original post that included @Purina and #DogThanking, Purina donated one dollar to the AKC Canine Health Foundation (up to $75,000) to help further pet health research.
Of course, we participated and we can’t wait to see the results. Such a great way to encourage people to appreciate what they have and help others in the process.
Jenna,Mark “HuskyCrazed” Drady says
Hoping all of our U.S friends had a great Thanksgiving!
ღ husky hugz ღ frum our pack at Love is being owned by a husky!